Thursday 9 February 2012

A SEPARATION *½

Original Title: Jodaeiye Nader az Simin
Iraq: Asghar Farhadi, 2011

IMDB reference

Putting my tin hat on and full body armor... A film shouldn't have to rely on the context of its making to qualify as a true great. I can't see what all the acclaim for A SEPARATION is for. I've heard it described as a sublime thriller and a formal master class in film technique. No it isn't!

A SEPARATION is the most visually bland and narratively drab 'thriller' I can recall seeing. Puttting aside the awards campaign to get the film noticed in the West or readings of the film purely in relation to celebrating the significance of its gender politics, having seen the film for myself - I just don't think it's very good. There I said it.

The Count's Verdict: Fuck all the hullabaloo surrounding the film - awards prestige, historical context, socio-political significance. Considering A SEPARATION purely on the basis of its merits as a film, this is one of the most tedious films I've ever seen. Avoid.

No comments: