Tuesday 18 August 2009

24 - SEASON 7

USA: Various Directors, 2009 (Created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran)

I've recently been gorging myself on the latest season of 24. Yes, the show has certainly eroded its once cutting-edge premise of taking place over twenty-four hours with events unfolding in real-time but hey it is slick entertainment in an addictive package.

This season (I've only got the season finale to go now) has been a tremendous ride with Jack his moody and explosive best at its heart. Not only has the season's first half got a blistering pace, the supporting cast captures an impressive balance of old and new faces (as for the latter Annie Wersching and Jeffrey Nordling a.ka. Michael Douglas dead ringer are both great). As the episodes have come and gone this group of characters have really knitted well - far better than in previous years. The obligatory lunacy plot-wise has been turned up to eleven and the Tony Almeida dance between good/bad guy setting a new head-slappingly silly high. But, for at least it's fun again.

I had given 24 a long berth up until my better half introduced me to the show a few years back. At that point she was up to Season 4 and she kindly went back to the beginning and we have watched each season 1 through 6.

Then came 24: Redemption, a decidedly average, if plain dull, feature length story linking the events of Season 6 with the new seventh season. If anything, 24: Redemption stopped my waning enthusiasm point blank. I had sat through the sublime highs of Season 1 and 2 (well the first half at any rate, which ranks as the most satisfyingly realised story arc in the whole 24 canon in my opinion). Then came the middling and stuttering efforts of Seasons 3 and 4. By Season 5, the whole thing was starting to get too rich for my palette and then Season 6 brought me back in to appreciate the pure entertainment and engaging drama 24 can rustle up when your not expecting it.

However, like I said before, the move length episode was just too damn bland for me to stomach. So I decided to take a break from 24 and didn't watch the show when it originally aired. Taking my time to come back to the table for another blockbuster helping with my expectations at an all-time low. This trick worked with 24: Redemption as having finally managing to sit through the whole thing now, I realise it was adequate rather than a total failure. I feel this is the thing with 24. On the one hand it lends itself, like much 'TV on DVD', to marathon viewing sessions but can actually reward the viewer for taking a much needed break for oxygen between seasons.

In case of 24 Season 7, my theory has proven correct. The more ridiculous aspects of the season's lurches from one plot-line to another would have angered and annoyed me straight off the back of an overdose of the show. However, since I've not thought about 24 for a significant amount of time, I've been able to overlook the flaws and just enjoy the ride. My girlfriend's evident delight in watching anywhere between four to eight episodes a day over the past couple of weeks has no doubt contributed to my upbeat assessment.

Bring on the finale!

Update: Having now seen the season finale I would say overall the season was strong and enjoyable. The last episode served up some more nonsensical twists and turns but it also had a nod to a deeper thematic resolution in regards to Jack's 'deathbed confession'. The season also offered fleeting moments of emotional drama which were genuinely affecting.

Score: 8/10

IMDB reference

No comments: