Thursday 31 December 2009

MY TOP 20 FILMS OF THE DECADE (2000-2009)

1. THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY (Peter Jackson, 2001/2002/2003)
2. MULHOLLAND DRIVE (David Lynch, 2001)
3. HANNIBAL (Ridley Scott, 2001)
4. AMERICAN PSYCHO (Mary Harron, 2000)
5. WALL-E (Andrew Stanton, 2008)
6. BATMAN BEGINS (Christopher Nolan, 2005)
7. AMELIE (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
8. ZODIAC (David Fincher, 2007)
9. CHILDREN OF MEN (Alfonso Cuaron, 2006)
10. UP (Pete Docter and Bob Peterson, 2009)
11. PAN'S LABYRINTH (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)
12. A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE (David Cronenberg, 2005)
13. MEMENTO (Christopher Nolan, 2000)
14. BLACK BOOK (Paul Verhoeven, 2006)
15. FINDING NEMO (Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich, 2003)
16. ATONEMENT (Joe Wright, 2007)
17. OLDBOY (Chan-wook Park, 2003)
18. THE BOURNE SUPREMACY (Paul Greengrass, 2004)
19. THE DESCENT (Neil Marshall, 2005)
20 MONSTERS, INC. (Pete Docter, David Silverman and Lee Unkrich)

Special "Jury Prize" for Film Fun: SERENITY (Joss Whedon, 2005)

Honourable mention: AUDITION (Takashi Miike, 1999) - released theatrically in the UK in 2001.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Of those I have seen well over half and judging by how much I enjoyed the ones I have seen, I will be checking out the others.
Old Boy is the only film I have watched THREE times in a row, I very rarely rewatch films. I found it amazingly shot, fantastic pacing/rhythm. It reminds me of a great painting, somehow I just cant help looking at it.
I liked the simplicity but effectiveness of symbolism in it. The themes of 'time' and 'lonliness' that make up the film are intellectually, creatively and often implicitly implemented. Delivering that 'feeling' while not being blunt/obvious or overly abstract I feel is the films greatest strength.
Another aspect I enjoyed was the 'random' moments of sheer irreverence. There are, throughout the films, flashes of complete, unadulterated lunacy. You vaguely have the time to go "what the fu..." before the scene is over, for example the line drawn on screen (prob post Pulp Fiction) when he has the hammer. Conversely there are moments that are very uncomfortable to watch, but impossible to stop. Again, this I feel is a feat of sheer brilliance.
Everything about Old Boy to me represents films as Art. Sheer talent mixed with splashes of lunacy alongside pensive, thought provoking moments that trigger an evocative response.

Wonderful film, a must watch