Friday 1 January 2010

MY TOP 10 FILMS OF 2009

This list is based on the films I saw from Jan 1st to Dec 31st in 2009. The only criteria I adhered to is that the films must have been released theatrically or straight to DVD in the UK during 2009.

1. UP (dir. Pete Docter and Bob Peterson)
2. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (dir. Tomas Alfredson)
3. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (dir. Danny Boyle)
4. DISTRICT 9 (dir. Neill Blomkamp)
5. AVATAR (dir. James Cameron)
6. THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (dir. David Fincher)
7. FROST/NIXON (dir. Ron Howard)
8. TRICK 'R TREAT (dir. Michael Dougherty)
9. BOLT (dir. Byron Howard and Chris Williams)
10. WATCHMEN (dir. Zack Snyder)

Honourable mentions must go to the following films that could quite easily of found themselves in my list: TRANSSIBERIAN, TIMECRIMES, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, MARTYRS, THE HURT LOCKER, THE READER, STAR TREK, AWAY WE GO, STATE OF PLAY and TERMINATOR SALVATION.

Other notable works I enjoyed watching at the cinema this year were the Halloween re-release of AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, the natural history documentaries UNDER THE SEA 3-D [IMAX], PLANET EARTH: SHALLOW SEAS 4-D EXPERIENCE [SEA LIFE 4-D] and on the small screen, the darkly gripping television mini-series the RED RIDING TRILOGY.

I should also point out I've yet to see critically acclaimed films such as ANTICHRIST, BROKEN EMBRACES, THE CLASS, CORALINE, AN EDUCATION, MESRINE, A SERIOUS MAN, SUNSHINE CLEANING, THIRST and THE WHITE RIBBON.

As for worst films of the year, I didn't really hate any of the new releases I saw in 2009 but then again I never saw TRANSFORMERS 2: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN. From the 45-odd films I did see from among the UK new releases in 2009, I was left most disappointed by the likes of RACHEL GETTING MARRIED, THE INTERNATIONAL and THE LIFE BEFORE HER EYES. However, this is mainly due to the fact I had allowed my expectations to be raised based on positive reviews, leaving me subsequently disappointed by these, in my opinion, decidedly average films. If I had to identify one film as my 'worst' then it would have to be Frank Henenlotter's BAD BIOLOGY which came out on DVD in 2009 following a limited release at festivals. Whilst I acknowledge this film is meant to be an offensive, deranged, cult oddity from the filmmaker behind BASKET CASE, it is quite simply awful.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Interesting list. Of the ones that I've seen, the only one I seriously disagree with is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, a tedious, mawkish affair and (for me) David Fincher's only serious misstep. I wasn't impressed as you by Bolt but it was a definite step in the right director after a string of very disappointing Disney films.

Count Fosco said...

Hi Michael. I know The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has come in for a lot of criticism since its release. I am a massive David Fincher fan and actually like all of his films, so perhaps I am a bit biased. However, at the time I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in the cinema, back in February, I found it highly entertaining on both an emotional and technical level. The pacing and sentimentality were not such a huge problem for me as apparently they were for others. The film's ranking in my Top 10 is a reflection of how I felt in upon seeing it for the first time.

I have since bought the UK Blu-ray release and shall be interested to see whether my opinion of the film changes or remains constant upon repeat viewings.

As for BOLT, it was a film I only saw recently and I just adored every minute of it. So unsurprisingly I felt compelled to include it at the expense of some other great films which had perhaps faded from my memory. I too look forward to seeing future projects from Disney. I've yet to see The Princess and the Frog.