Friday 2 July 2010

CONQUERING MY 'TO-WATCH PILE'

Inspired by this thread on the Mondo Movie forums, I've decided it was long overdue for me to actually get round to watching the ever-growing number of DVDs and Blu-ray discs I own (not to mention programmes stored on my DVR). At the very least, simply knowing what I have yet to watch will help curb my DVD/Blu-ray expenditure in these times when every penny counts.

Therefore, I've set myself a target of compiling a list of films, documentaries, television shows et al that are gathering dust on my shelves - both figuratively and literally - in a variety of media. Knowing myself as I do, it is futile for me to set this exercise up as a belated New Year's resolution or even think I will clear my sizeable back catalogue any month, year, time soon. So instead it is my intention at first to simply list the stuff I own but have never watched, then at regular intervals I'll endeavour to make the time to sit and watch a range of films, TV shows and documentaries from this list. Thus, finally getting my money's worth out of all the stuff I have previously bought and hopefully discovering a few hidden gems along the way.

I've set a couple of rules for myself and that is any DVD or Blu-ray I currently own or buy will be added to the list unless I have previously seen the film/TV Show etc before in its entirety - I must go back and finish all those films I've either fallen asleep through or caught the end of on TV. Likewise for any rentals or stuff I record to watch off TV. The list will be confined to quantifiable and easily definable works such as a film, documentary or scripted television show only e.g. coverage of 2010 World Cup and Match of the Day won't count although I'll still be watching it.

'To-watch' List in no particular order (on-going project last edited 27/7/10):
2046
13 (Tzameti)
30 Rock - Season 3 - watched - Rating 7/10
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
4400, The - Season 2
A Cock and Bull Story
A Prophet
A Serious Man
Alexander
Alias - Season 2
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Almost Famous
Amarcord
And Now The Screaming Starts
Animatrix, The
Antichrist
Baba Yaga
Bad Education
Bad Inclination
Baise-Moi
Band of Brothers - Miniseries
Battle Royale
Beast In The Cellar, The
Bedlam
Before Sunset
Before Surnise - watched - Rating 8/10
Belleville Rendez-Vous
Black Books - Season 2
Black Books - Season 3
Black Christmas - remake
Black Hawk Down
Black Sheep
Body Snatcher, The
Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia
Brokeback Mountain
Broken Embraces
Broken, The
Brothers
Bug
Bully
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
Capitalism: A Love Story
Capturing Mary
Carnal Knowledge - watched - Rating 7/10
Cash Back
Castle Of Blood
Charlie and The Chocolate Factory
Children, The
City of God
City of the Dead, The
Class, The
Collector, The
Comeback, The
Constant Gardener, The
Control Room
Corpse Bride, The
Countess Dracula
Crazy Heart
Curse Of The Cat People
Cursed Medallion, The
Danger: Diabolik
Dark Angel - Season 1
Dark Angel - Season 2
Daybreakers
Dead Space: Downfall
Defying Gravity - Season 1
Dellamorte Dellamore
Demons
Demons 2
Dexter - Season 1
Diving Bell And The Butterfly, The
Dominion: Prequel To The Exorcist
Door Into Darkness - Season 1
Double Indemnity
Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde
Duchess, The
Dust Devil
Elephant
Elephant Man, The
Encounters at the End of the World
Eraserhead
Exorcist: The Beginning
Eye, The
Fall Of The House Of Usher, The
Fall, The
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Fish Tank
Flags of Our Fathers
Flesh and Blood Show, The
Following
Foreign Correspondent
Fourth Kind, The
Fringe - Season 1
From Beyond
Ghost Ship, The
Giallo
Ginger Snaps
Good, The Bad and The Weird, The
Grace
He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Helen
Hills Run Red, The
Horrible Dr. Hichcock, The
Horseman, The
Host, The
Hound Of The Baskervilles
House Of Exorcism, The
House of the Devil, The
Hush
I Loved You So Long
I Stand Alone
I Vampiri
Iguana With The Tongue Of Fire, The
In Between Your Legs
In The Mood For Love
Infestation
Inland Empire
Innocents, The
Inside
Isle Of The Dead
Knowing, The
Kung-Fu Hustle
La Vie En Rose
Last Samurai, The
Leap Year - watched - Rating 3/10
Leaves of Grass
Letters From Iwo Jima
Life - Series 1
Lifeboat
Lisa And The Devil
Lovely Bones, The
Lust For A Vampire
Macabre
Mad Men - Season 2
Mars Attacks
Master and Commander and The Far Side Of The World
Men Who Stare At Goats, The
Miami Vice
Mill Of The Stone Women, The
Monster Club, The
Mummy, The
Nadja
Night Of The Demon
Nightmare Before Christmas, The
Not Quite Hollywood
Once Upon A Time In The West
Orphan
Outlander
Pacific, The - Miniseries
Pit And The Pendulum, The
Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire
Prey
Push
Rabid Dogs
Ravenous
Return of the Living Dead
Scream and Scream Again
Seventh Seal, The
Seventh Victim, The
Shadows In The Dark: Val Lewton Legacy
Shrek The Third
Six Feet Under - Season 1
Smallville - Season 1
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring
State Of Play - Series 1
Survival of the Dead
Sweeney Todd
Swimming Pool
Tales of Terror
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - Season 1
Thank You For Smoking
Thirst
Torso
Trucker
Truman Show, The
Twenty-Four Hour Party People
Twice Told Tales
Twin Peaks - Season 2
U-Turn
Val Lewton by Martin Scorsese
Vampire Circus
Virgin Witch
Visitor, The
Volver
Waltz with Bashir
West Wing, The - Season 1
Whatever Works
Where The Truth Lies
Where The Wild Things Are
White Ribbon, The
Whiteout - watched - Rating 4/10
Who Saw Her Die?
Who's That Knocking At My Door
Wicker Man, The
Wire, The - Season 5
Witchfinder General
Wolf Creek
Zombi 2
Zombieland

That'll do for a start. I fear there are at least another hundred or two, hopefully some gems amidst these works neglected by me.

No comments: