Tuesday 20 December 2011

HUGO 3D ***½

USA: Martin Scorsese, 2011

IMDB reference


I was slightly underwhelmed by HUGO. Not enough film history to satisfy an adult enthusiast nor exciting enough to entertain a child. The much lauded 3D aided the visual spectacle of the film but was by no means essential. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty to enjoy, especially technically, in HUGO but I felt it lagged in pacing and the narrative felt uneven with rather forced vignettes of humour.

So, much to my surprise, a Scorsese pic won't make my Top 10 of 2011. In fact, as divisive a film as last year's SHUTTER ISLAND was I undoubtedly prefer it to HUGO.

The Count's Verdict: Go see it, enjoy it - just beware the hype as no matter what they say HUGO doesn't demonstrably vindicate the need for 3D or hold a candle to Scorsese's best work.

3 comments:

Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

I'm actually gonna wait for this one on Blu-ray.

My friend works at a theater so I get in free, but they are ONLY showing the 3D version now (they were only showing the 2D at 9:30 PM previously), and the glasses bug me.

I don't like wearing them over my normal glasses and they give me a headache.

Count Fosco said...

Despite what you might of heard I'd imagine seeing HUGO in plain old 2D isn't the monumentally reduced experience it's been said to be.

Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

Also, I really enjoyed Shutter Island. It made my last year's Top 10.